Monday, November 12, 2012

Quinoa?

What is the world is Quinoa, people keep asking.  I just keep replying with, "Umm...it's in the grain family. And it's GLUTEN FREE!!"  I'll be honest I really had no idea other than on the Shelf Reliance website it is listed under grains...so natuarlly it's a grain right?  Well here is what Shelf Reliance has to say about it.
"THRIVE Quinoa is unique because although it is sometimes considered a grain it is actually closely related to leafy green vegetables such as spinach, making quinoa rich in both amino acids and protein.  When cooked, quinoa can become a delicious hot cereal, pasta, or side dish. It also can add a rich flavor to soups and salads."

I decided to order a case and give it a try (why not just go big right?!?!) Here are the two recipes I tired today:

Martha Stewart's, Breakfast Quinoa
  • Yield Makes 2 cups

Ingredients

  • 2 cups milk, plus more for serving
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
  • 1 cup blueberries (I of course used THRIVE Blueberries!)

Directions

  1. Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
  2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.
I have to say, I loved it.  I would say, I liked it more than oatmeal...




Mexican Quinoa Salad

The next recipe I got from my friend Susan.  It's a family favorite of theirs so I thought I'd try it.

Ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
  • 3 Olive Oil
  • 1 teaspoon spike seasoning
  • 2-4 Tablespoon fresh cilantro (I say the more the better!!!)
  • Garlic salt to taste
  • Salt to taste
  • Fresh ground pepper to taste
Then the veggies you want to add, all depends on your family! I did tomatoes and avocado. Here's some more ideas:

Directions

  1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add your 1 cup quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool in the refrigerated, covered, for about an hours.
  2. While that is cooling prepare your dressing.  Once the pasta is cooled, add your dressing and seasoning to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment