Monday, March 18, 2013

Chicken Enchiladas by Chef Todd Leonard!! Amazing...

Growing up enchiladas was my favorite dinner!  On our birthdays we got to pick the dinner menu...I always picked enchiladas!!  My moms recipe is amazing and can not be duplicated because it's..."oh a little of this and a dash of that and some of this if you have it on hand or a little of this to taste" Like I said non-duplicateable (is that a word?!?!)!  Sometimes I make it and it's good and other times not so much! Sometimes I give up and buy a can of it and it's not my favorite.  Well I discovered this recipe this past week and it's my favorite!! I thought I would post it for you all to try!! It was so stinkin' good, and it uses my favorite thing ;)...Tomato Power (do you have it yet!?!?)!!  I loved it, my family loved it...it's a keeper.
I modified it a little.  I think there is nothing worse then dry corn tortillas.  And I hate it when they split when you roll them, and I'd rather not cook each of them in oil for a min to soften them up.  The microwave doesn't work all that good either.  I always put my sauce in a frying pan, turn it on low and put a few tortilla in there at a time to soften them up and get them nice and coated with sauce.  I watched Chef Todd make this recipe and I noticed he just poured a little sauce over top once he had them all rolled...but I wanted to dip my tortillas so I doubled just the sauce recipe so I didn't run out!!
Seriously...no joke...my mouth is watering right now just looking at this picture remembering how good it was!!


Chicken Enchiladas
by Chef Todd Leonard, CEC
Time: 45 min.
Yields 8 servings (16 enchiladas)
Filling:
 3
c. THRIVE™ Chopped Chicken (FD)
1/3
c. THRIVE™ Green Onions (FD)
½
c. THRIVE™ Green Chili Peppers (FD)
1/3
c. THRIVE™ Chopped Onions (FD)
c. water
1/3
tsp.chili powder
¾
tsp. cumin
¾
tsp. season salt
¾
c. THRIVE™ Shredded Colby Cheese (FD), reconstituted
Sauce:
2
tsp. garlic, fresh
2
tbsp. butter
2 2/3
c. water
tbsp. THRIVE™ Chicken Bouillon
1/3
c. THRIVE™ Chopped Onions (FD)
½
c. THRIVE™ Green Chili Peppers
2
tsp. THRIVE™ Tomato Powder
¾
tsp. cumin
1/3
tsp. chili powder
1/3
c. sour cream
2/3
c. THRIVE™ Shredded Colby Cheese (FD), reconstituted
1
tbsp. corn starch + 2 tbsp. cold water
Topping:
1
c. THRIVE™ Shredded Colby Cheese (FD), reconstituted
16
corn tortillas
In a bowl, mix all filling ingredients except cheese, in the water and let sit for a minimum of 5 minutes. Sauté mixture in small amounts in a very hot skillet to brown and caramelize. Set aside, let cool, and fold in ¾ c. cheese.
In a medium-size saucepan, sauté garlic in butter until softened. Add remaining sauce ingredients except sour cream, cheese, and cornstarch slurry. Bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes or until starting to thicken and then blend in blender until smooth. Pour back into pan. Mix cornstarch slurry, add to sauce, and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in sour cream and cheese.
Mix 1 cup of sauce with filling. Stir lightly without breaking up the chicken. Fill each tortilla with ¼ cup filling and roll up. Place enchiladas in 9x13 baking dish. Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle cheese over top. Bake at 350F for 15–20 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
 
  **OK, I like my tortilla shells dipped in the warm sauce (as pictured above) then  filled. So I doubled the sauce!  It was the perfect amount.  I put about 3 tortillas in the sauce which is on low and let them sit for 1-2 mins, then fill, then roll!**





No comments:

Post a Comment