Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Tortilla Soup

What do you do when your corn tortillas turn dry and brittle? I slice 'em up and make Tortilla Soup!


This is a recipe I received years ago from my friend Anna when Mike and I were still newlyweds and I think I only knew how to make two things...baked chicken and Rice-A-Roni!  And every Sunday, that is what we ate! Rice-A-Roni and baked chicken!  I remember my mom coming to visit one time and she said, "Honey I feel like I failed you." Wide eyed I must have looked at her funny and she asked, "Did I not teach you how to cook?!"

This is what happens when you are the youngest of 8, you are neglected and forgot about!!!  Just kidding...my Mom is the most amazing woman I know and she taught me many things!! Cooking apparently just wasn't one of them :)!!  But she has since taught me a thing or two, I have called her many times for cooking instructions and she never steers me wrong...cuz like I said, she's amazing!

Anyway this recipe....It's THE  best recipe for Tortilla Soup I have ever had! Hands down, don't try to tell me you have a better one...cuz you don't!  I have ordered tortilla soup in restaurants and every time I am disappointed!!

I altered my friends original recipe just slightly, I'm not a big fan of garlic powder...give me the real stuff!  And it didn't call for green chilies or cilantro...? Why on earth would you leave out green chilies and cilantro?!?!?  Anywho I've altered it again today thanks to Tomato Powder (Have I mentioned lately how much I love Tomato Powder...well it's simple amazing!).  It called for canned tomatoes but my family would always eat around the tomatoes so I started pureeing the the can of tomatoes...now I can skip that step and have one less dish to wash!

You ready for this?!

Tortilla Soup (simply the best)
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped onion
  • 2 Tbls. Chopped Garlic
  • 2 Tbls. Butter
  • 1 tsp. Cumin
  • 3/4 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1/4 tsp. Pepper
 Saute above ingredients in a large pot until onions and garlic are soft. Then add...
  • 6 Cups chicken Broth
  • 1 Cup water
  • 3 tsp. Tomato Powder
  • 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Freeze Dried Chicken (or fresh, cooked & chopped)
  • 1/4 Cup Freeze Dried Green Chilies
Bring to a boil, add tortillas and simmer for 15 minutes.  Toss Cilantro in just before serving!
  • 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro 
Garnish with, sour cream, avacados, cheese, tortilla chips...etc!!
Your Welcome in advance :)




No comments:

Post a Comment