Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thrive Sweet & Sour Meatballs

I made this last night, it's from the Thrive Cookbook and is also found on The Thrive Kitchen. I made it for dinner and I actually heard these words come out of the mouths of my children:
  • "Mom! You made a good dinner."  
  • "Mom, these are my favorite dinner!"  
  • "Mom, this is good!"
I'm not joking!! Those words actually came out Picky Pants 1, 2 and 3 (#4 was on the couch asleep with an ear ache :'( otherwise I'm sure she would have just said..."I'm not hungry".  Her famous dinner line!!)

In the Thrive Cookbook it shows them on skewers...I of course had to do that, it's all about presentation for kids and skewers are fun!
This simple ground beef recipe has an extra appeal with the addition of sweet and sour flavors.  Source: Christy Horn - Recipe Contest 3rd Place Winner!

Prep Time: 20 min | Total Time: 45 min | Servings 10

Ingredients

  • 1⁄2 c dry bread crumbs
  • 1⁄4 c thrive instant milk, prepared
  • 1 T thrive iodized salt
  • 1⁄2 t worcestershire sauce
  • 1 thrive whole egg, prepared
  • 1⁄2 c thrive brown sugar, packed
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • 1 cn pineapple tidbits with juice
  • 1⁄3 c vinegar
  • 1 T soy sauce (I can't use soy sauce, so I just used worcestershire sauce!)
  • 1⁄8 c thrive red & green bell peppers
  • 2 c thrive ground beef, rehydrated (or 1 lb hamburger)
  • 1⁄8 c thrive chopped onions

Instructions

* Mix hamburger, dry bread crumbs, instant milk, onions, salt, worcestershire sauce, and egg together; shape into twenty 1 1/2" sized balls.
* Place in skillet and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown (about 20 minutes)
OR
bake in an ungreased 9x13" pan at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until light brown.
* Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in a skillet. Stir in pineapple, juice, vinegar, and soy sauce.
* Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, then add meatballs and peppers.
* Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment