Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Simply Perfect Clam Chowder, All Thrived Up!

Since a funeral my 13 year old and I attended months ago, we have been trying to replicate the yumminess of some Clam Chowder we had there.  We haven't had much luck...you'd think a basic Clam Chowder recipe would just be easy to come by, right? Well I guess not.  But last week as I was searching for another recipe I saw this recipe for Clam Chowder scribbled in some notes of mine!! I tried it using Thrive and it was simple (just what I was looking for) and amazing.  So basic, nothing fancy and yet delicious!
I Thrived it up with my favorite dynamic trio from Thrive...celery, carrots and onions! They are perfectly sized, no time and no tears involved.  This seriously took me less than 30 mins from start to finish and when I say finish...I mean cleaned UP!!!!  The divineness behind already washed and chopped healthy veggies...gotta love this stuff!
Of course if you are missing one of these Thrive ingredients just remember, freeze dried measurements are equal to fresh & dehydrated are equal to 1/2 of a fresh measurement.

Clam Chowder


  • 1/2 Cup butter
  • 3/4 Cup Flour (OR, 1/4-1/2 corn starch if you want it to be Gluten free)
  • 1 Qt. half & half
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
Cook veggies in clam juice, bullion & just enough water to cover veggies.  Simmer covered until tender and rehydrated (10-15 mins).  In another pan melt butter and whisk in flour and cream.  Add veggies, claims, salt and pepper to taste, simmer for another few mins just to make sure it's warmed all the way through! And bam...your done!
If you want to make it fun and feel like you are down on Pier 39 in San Francisco throw it in a bread bowl!!  I found these small ones (perfect kid-friendly sized) at Safeway for .99! I have to say the bowl sold the meal...they weren't excited when I told them I made Chowder (yes of course I left out the clam part in the name cuz I'm smart!) for dinner, until I served them each a bowl made of bread...how cool of a mom am I know?!?!? Sometimes it's all about the presentation...

This meal cost me about $5 (not including the bread bowls), less than 30 mins to make which was mostly just simmer time.  The 2 reasons I love Thrive...it's saves me time and money!

No comments:

Post a Comment