Friday, June 6, 2014

Salted Caramel Ice Cream

 

 

Salted Caramel Ice Cream...Thrivealized :)

I accidentally bought Thrive Egg White Powder, I meant to order the Whole Eggs, which I love and use all the time.  However eggs whites? I haven't known what to do with, until yesterday when I made this heavenly tasting homemade ice cream. My friend Becky gave it to me...not sure yet to whether to curse her or kiss her...this is dangerously good!  

 

OH MY! It's to die for...

1 1/2 C. Whole Milk
7 tsp. Thrive Egg White Powder+14 tsp milk (I thought rehydrating with water might make it icy?)
1 C. Sugar
3 Tblsp. Water
1 1/4 C. Heavy crm (my friend said she uses half & half, haven't tried that yet!!)
1 tsp. fine sea salt

Optional:
1/2 C. Chopped Toffee Chips (I happened to have some on hand and added them at the very end and it was really yummy to have that extra little crunch in there...as if it was good enough all ready!!)

 

OK Directions:

Place 1 1/2 Cups milk into a heavy based saucepan. Heat just until milk starts to simmer.

Meanwhile beat the egg white powder+14 tsp milk in mixer until pale (takes a few mins).  Once your simmered milk in hot slowly whisk into your egg mixture and beat for another minute.

Combined sugar and water in saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves.  Increase heat to medium and cook WITHOUT stirring (it's hard to resist, but don't stir it!!) until the sugar mixture starts to turn a rich golden color.  Remove from heat and carefully pour in cream.

Return mixture to low heat and stir until lumps have dissolved (again this take a few mins...just be patient!). Add egg mixture and cook, stirring until the mixture leaves a nice coating on the back of your spoon.

Pour mixture into heatproof bowl and refrigerate until well chilled!!

Once chilled beat one last time for 1-2 minutes, add salt, then pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow your machines instructions.  I have a kitchen Aide, I put mine on stir for 15 mins.  Once mixture is frozen transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze or just enjoy right then and there out of the bowl like me :)!!



No comments:

Post a Comment